“God is light; In him there is no darkness...”
[1 John 1:5]
Welcome to Antioch Church!
We strive to bring faith in Jesus and passion of the gospel to our community as we make Disciples of Christ to all who will listen.
We are a community of believers committed to the Lord Jesus Christ. We are Christ-focused and engaged in the ministry of worship, in the study of the Word of God, as well as being Spirit-led in the services of giving and serving our local, national, and world communities.
Antioch is an exciting mix of the traditional and the contemporary. Join us on Sunday Mornings in our "Big Old Stone Church" for a solid, biblical, inspired message sandwiched between music and worship old and new.
Join one of our contemporary celebrations in the Fellowship Hall where you may participate in immersive, modern, Christian worship.
Come just as you are and join us in Christ-centered ministries where we come together to be nurtured and then go out into the world to serve others as the hands, heart, and feet of Jesus.
OUR HISTORY (very short version)
The first deed for Antioch Church was dated June 1, 1832 and was given by John Dennis. The land was part of the Beckford Estate.
In 1856, an act was passed by the legislature incorporating Antioch Church and vesting the title conveyed by said deed in the following Trustees: John V. Pinto, James Brittingham, Joseph S. Crockett, Alfred Whitney, William H. Fisher, William Hinman, George C. Dixon, William Lecates and Seth D. Venables.
In 1877, the Princess Anne Circuit consisted of 7 churches with a total of 534 members and 55 probationers. The total value of these churches was $11,100.
In 1885, Robert Watt was appointed pastor of Princess Anne Church and Antioch ceased to be part of the circuit. It was made a station.
The first church was known as the "little red church" and was built of red brick. It was remodeled 3 times.
In 1912, it was realized by the pastor and the people of the church that a larger facility was needed and fundraising was begun to build a new church.
Thomas H. Bock, an official of the church, came forward with an offer to give one dollar for every dollar given by the congregation. This pledge was to cost him nearly $26,000. In March 1915, the little brick church was taken down and construction of the new and present sanctuary was begun. During the time of construction the congregation worshipped in the court house.
The cornerstone of the new church was laid on July 28, 1915. The church was dedicated on Sunday, July 2, 1916. The entire cost of the church was over $52,000. Later, the pipe organ was installed with the help of the Carnegie foundation for $2,000.